His riddles are:
- You look at me, I look back, your right hand raises, I my left. You speak, but I in vain."
Mirror (from the hall outside)
- Long neck, no hands, 100 legs, cannot stand. Born of forest nest, against a wall I rest"
Broom (from the mirror room)
- It has towns, but no houses. Forests, but no trees. Rivers, but no fish."
Map (from the study)
- I've no eyes, but once did see, thoughts had I but now I'm white, and empty."
Skull (from the study)
- I'm a fire's friend, my body swells with wind. With my nose I blow, how the embers glow!!"
Bellows (from the fireplace)
- First burnt and beaten, drowned and pierced with nails, then stepped on by long-faced animals."
Horseshoe (from the workshop)
Whenever Jairen visits the sphinx, he will give another riddle. After all the riddles are answer, the sphinx will disappear